Thursday, September 29, 2011

Plugged by Eoin Colfer

Like a lot of people, I know Eoin Colfer from his Artemis Fowl series, and, having listened to one on audiobook, I was eager to read his first adult novel, Plugged. I admit, I wasn't sure how it would work out, but I hoped that Mr. Colfer would be able to pull off that mix of suspense and humor. He did. The story was both dark and humorous, and full of dialogue that makes you miss both Raymond Chandler and Ken Bruen at the same time. I hated for it to end.

From the side flap:
Daniel McIvoy, an Irish bouncer at a seedy New Jersey club. Dan has a problem. Well, he has several, but the worst is that the girl he loves was just murdered. Then more people around him start dying, and not of natural causes.

Suddenly Dan's got the mob, cops, and an unstable lovesick neighbor after him, and the only clue points toward the crooked doctor who gave him hair implants before vanishing into thin air. Luckily-or perhaps not so much-he has the help of a volatile detective, a permanently hungover army psychologist, and a mischievous ghost.


I will say that mischievous ghost was a nice touch. Having been to a question and answer book signing with Eoin Colfer, and hearing that he really enjoys writing YA novels because he can add that bit of the supernatural, I was glad he was able to fit that into his adult novel story also. I will also say that that book signing was one of the most enjoyable I've been to, since the author had some really great stories to tell. (One of them involving duct tape and kids he happen to be directing in a play. Working at an elementary school myself, I could relate.)

And, as it happens, you can win a free signed copy of Plugged over at Crime Always Pays. Enjoy and good luck.

6 comments:

seana graham said...

I've got this one too. I even read a couple of pages, but got distracted, probably by some form of obligatory reading.

Luckily, I can still see it in the stack.

Need to bump this one up.

Sean Patrick Reardon said...

I fine endoresment, by a trusted source :)

Glenna said...

Geez guys, I'm sorry it's taken me so long to pop back on here. I don't mean to neglect things.

Seana, it is a nice adult addition for Colfer. Especially since it followed Absolute Zero Cool and took the edge off of some of the darkness with the humor.

Thanks Sean, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

seana graham said...

No, we know your life is pretty full up right now, Glenna.

Glenna said...

Seana, that's putting it mildly. It seems to take awhile for me to finish a book now when I was going through one every few days. It's a shame too since Deviant and Stolen Souls just arrived in the mail and I'm determined to finish the book I'm reading now. Maybe more coffee and less sleeping...

Glenna said...
This comment has been removed by the author.