Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Sam Millar

I'm currently making my way through Requiems for the Departed, an anthropology on Irish mythology stories, and I'm finding it very interesting. One of the authors in the book I'm thinking sounds worth exploring is Sam Millar. I did a little investigating into his books, and the series he mentions, only to find out that his current paperback, (shown on the left), is selling for close to $1000.oo, (yes, the decimal point is in the right place). A thousand dollars for a new paperback. Wow. Not to be penurious, but that's a bit much for me. I'm still considering looking into his Karl Kane series, which run for about $15.oo on Amazon, (except for the one out of print with is closer to $100.00), but I don't like that I won't be able to find the whole series, or possibly get any new ones because of exorbitant cost. I'm really wondering what makes a current series cost/worth so much, and, why an author would put such high prices on his books that the average person can't get them. It's disappointing really.

5 comments:

sam millar said...

Glenna, thank you for mentioning my books. Please let me explain about that ridiculous and extortionist price on Amazon. I don't have a say in what private dealers put on my books (nor does any author). I make no profit from them. I have actually warned people through numerous sites not to be buying any of my books above cover price, even though On The Brinks is regarded as 'rare' and a 'collector's item' and a signed copy sold for over £2,000 last year in London. I have asked Amazon to take the dealer off, but they say that's the free market, and there is little they can do. Hope this clears the air, as I would never like to see any of my readers paying for any of my books above the cover price.
Thank you for the space to clear this up.
Best for now.
Sam

sam millar said...

Glenna, send an email to my email address and I'll get a copy of Bloodstorm ( the first Karl Kane) sent to you.
Sam


sambrinks@hotmail.com

Glenna said...

Sam, Thanks for stopping by, and thanks for clearing that up, I was curious about how things worked. I've recently heard a few other issues of authors dealing with prices, publishers, and out of print stock that were having similar problems and it seems there is a lot that those of us just wanting to read the books don't see. Also, I didn't mean to call you out specifically, your books were among several authors at the time I came across where sellers were wanting hundreds of dollars for a book. Yours just happen to be the one that "broke the camels back" as they say.

And I might just take you up on that offer, since The Red Hand of Ulster has me pretty curious about Karl Kane.

sam millar said...

Thanks for allowing me space to clear it up, Glenna. Authors have very little say in what happens to their work once it leaves their hands. Karl Kane will be on his way to you next week. Best for now.
Sam
www.millarcrime.com

Glenna said...

Thanks Sam.