Friday, June 4, 2010

Adrian McKinty's 50 Grand


I just finished this one this morning. I really liked it, I like his writing style. With a lot of books, I find myself getting frustrated with all of the descriptions of everything..there are just too many details and I end up skipping paragraphs. With McKinty's books, I can't see the exact shade of the sky or the shape of a cloud, but I get a very definite "feel" for where I am and what's going on. I can get lost in it. His other books are the same way, (my favorite is the "Dead" series). Granted, his stories aren't "happy go lucky", and I think a lot would say they are on the "dark" side, but I enjoy them...they seem honest. In this one, you follow the story of a cop coming to America from Cuba to find out who killed her father. It's not really so much of a "who done it", although, there is that, but more of a story being told. You can see it play out in your head. I admit, if the picture in my is anything close to what it's like living in Cuba, it's not a place I'd want to go.

Fifty Grand

The "Dead" trilogy
Dead I Well May Be
The Dead Yard
The Bloomsday Dead

No comments: